My main research interests include: (1) interpersonal relations, including commitment processes, dissolution processes, and social network interactions and influence; and (2) social psychological dimensions of health behaviors. At times, my research combines these two interests (e.g., how commitment influences health).
- Applied Social Psychology
- Close Relationships
- Health Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Relationship Science at Purdue University
- Agnew, C. R., Carlston, D. E., Graziano, W. G., & Kelly, J. R. (Eds.). (2010). Then a miracle occurs: Focusing on behavior in social psychological theory and research. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Le, B., Smoak, N. D., Agnew, C. R., Korn, M. S., & Mutso, A. A. (in press). Predicting non-marital romantic relationship dissolution: A meta-analytic synthesis. Personal Relationships.
- VanderDrift, L. E., Agnew, C. R., Harvey, S. M., & Warren, J. (in press). Whose intentions predict? Power over condom use within heterosexual dyads. Health Psychology.
- Agnew, C. R., & Dove, N. (2011). Relationship commitment and perceptions of harm to self. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 33, 322-332.
- Agnew, C. R., Hoffman, A. M., Lehmiller, J. J., & Duncan, N. T. (2007). From the interpersonal to the international: Understanding commitment to the "War on Terror." Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 33, 1559-1571.
- Arriaga, X. B., Reed, J., Goodfriend, W., & Agnew, C. R. (2006). Relationship perceptions and persistence: Do fluctuations in perceived partner commitment undermine dating relationships? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 91, 1045-1065.
- Etcheverry, P. E., & Agnew, C. R. (2009). Similarity in cigarette smoking attracts: A prospective study of romantic partner selection by own smoking, smoker prototype, and perceived approval. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 23, 632-643.
- Etcheverry, P. E., & Agnew, C. R. (2008). Romantic partner and friend influences on young adult cigarette smoking: Comparing close others’ smoking and injunctive norms over time. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 22, 313-325.
- Goodfriend, W., & Agnew, C. R. (2008). Sunken costs and desired plans: Examining different types of investments in close relationships. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 34, 1639-1652.
- Hoffman, A. M., Agnew, C. R., Lehmiller, J. J., & Duncan, N. T. (2009). Satisfaction, alternatives, investments, and the microfoundations of audience cost models. International Interactions, 35, 365-389.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Agnew, C. R. (2008). Commitment in age-gap heterosexual romantic relationships: A test of evolutionary and socio-cultural predictions. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 32, 74-82.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Agnew, C. R. (2007). Perceived marginalization and the prediction of romantic relationship stability. Journal of Marriage and Family, 69, 1036-1049.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Agnew, C. R. (2006). Marginalized relationships: The impact of social disapproval on romantic relationship commitment. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 32, 40-51.
- Tiffany, S. T., Agnew, C. R., Maylath, N. K., Dierker, L., Flaherty, B., Richardson, E., Balster, R., Segress, M. H., Clayton, R., & the Tobacco Etiology Research Network. (2007). Smoking in college freshmen: University Project of the Tobacco Etiology Research Network (UpTERN). Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 9(S4), S611-S625.
- VanderDrift, L. E., Agnew, C. R., & Wilson, J. E. (2009). Non-marital romantic relationship commitment and leave behavior: The mediating role of dissolution consideration. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 35, 1220-1232.
- Warren, J., Harvey, S. M., & Agnew, C. R. (2012). One love: Explicit monogamy agreements among heterosexual young adult couples at increased risk of sexually transmitted infections. Journal of Sex Research, 49, 282-289.
- Agnew, C. R., Arriaga, X. B., & Wilson, J. E. (2008). Committed to what? Using the Bases of Relational Commitment Model to understand continuity and changes in social relationships. In J. P. Forgas & J. Fitness (Eds.), Social relationships: Cognitive, affective and motivational processes (pp.147-164). New York: Psychology Press.
- Kelly, J. R., & Agnew, C. R. (2012). Behavior and behavior assessment. In K. Deaux & M. Snyder (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Personality and Social Psychology (pp. 93-110). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Rusbult, C. E., & Agnew, C. R. (2009). Prosocial motivation and behavior in close relationships. In M. Mikulincer & P. R. Shaver (Eds.), Prosocial motives, emotions, and behavior. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Rusbult, C. E., Agnew, C. R., & Arriaga, X. B. (2012). The Investment Model of Commitment Processes. In P. A. M. Van Lange, A. W. Kruglanski, & E. T. Higgins (Eds.), Handbook of theories of social psychology, Volume 2 (pp. 218-231). Los Angeles: Sage.
Christopher R. Agnew
Department of Psychological Sciences
703 Third Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2081
- Phone: (765) 494-6061
- Fax: (765) 496-1264